3/28/2003

Media Watch
Expect television to suck even more than it sucks now (if that's even possible): FCC to rule on media consolidation in June. Big business wants the laws against owning too many television stations knocked out for good.

A missile, thought to be Iraqi, struck a mall in Kuwait City. Now the good news: the strike was at 1:45am, and it doesn't look like there are any causalities. Shooting a missile into an empty mall in the middle of the morning is beyond useless, but the mall is a mile away from the palace of the Kuwaiti emir. Appearently, Iraq's aim still blows.

There are reports that a missile hit a market in Baghdad, killing 50 people, mostly children. I have heard whehther or not this was a US or Iraqi missile. But since Iraq has poor aim and we are firing off numerous amounts of missiles, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that it was a US missile.

Some may remember my tirade a couple of weeks back blasting all the Democratic presidential hopefuls who had a chance to win the nomination for being spineless wimps by deciding not to speak out against the war in Iraq once Bush started it. Well, I have been following the candidacy of Howard Dean since then, and he's starting to grow on me. Especially when he starts blasting the other candidates about their positions on the war. He's displaying the known symptoms of having a vertebra, and that's a good thing..

Salam Pax is a blogger from Baghdad. He hasn't made a post since 3/25, so hopefully he's OK. I highly suggest reading his reports of the first bombing raids on his blog. Here's an excerpt: "Today before noon I went out with my cousin to take a look at the city. Two things. 1) the attacks are precise. 2) they are attacking targets which are just too close to civilian areas in Baghdad. Looked at the Salam palace and the houses around it. Quite scary near it and you can see widows with broken glass till very far off," and, "The images we saw on TV last night (not Iraqi, jazeera-BBC-Arabiya) were terrible. The whole city looked as if it were on fire. The only thing I could think of was 'why does this have to happen to Baghdad'. As one of the buildings I really love went up in a huge explosion I was close to tears."

The architect of one of Saddam's best bunkers/personal bomb shelters says that anything short of a direct hit with a nuclear bomb will not be able to penerate it. I guess this means that we'll have to stash away all those 4700lbs bunker buster bombs that we are starting to use.

The previously linked artcle also reports that relief supplies are coming into Umm Qasr, the Iraqi port we now control. Hopefully this will get to Barsa quickly, I'm not sure if power has been restored to Iraq's second largest city yet.

Indymedia reports that over 5 million people worldwide have protested the war in Iraq since it started.