Middle Eastern Democracy
I'm not going to link to Bush's speech where he tells Iran, Syria, and Egypt that they must become democracies, but I do have to ask.. What the hell is this guy thinking? Does he ever do any actual research before opening his mouth? When he said this, it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend from Oman who now resides in India. I asked her why Oman was a monarchy and they haven't visited the 20th century and gone democratic, and she laughed at me. Her reasoning against democracy was that we wouldn't want countries like Oman being democratic because then Islamic fundamentalist governments hostile to the US would be elected.
And why did Bush only mention Iran, Syria, and Egypt? Saudi Arabia and Qatar aren't exactly pillars for governments elected by the people, why didn't he mention them? Why be selective?

<< Home