1/06/2004

Peace talks for real?

Pakistani President Musharraf and Indian PM Vajpayee have agreed to peace talks over Kashmir. Though I have not had time to look at reactions in Indian and Pakistani media, the reports about this and the meeting that both men had in Islamabad at this week's South Asian regional summit have been optimistic. I'm not as optimistic. Don't get me wrong, Musharraf and Vajpayee actually meeting face to face and releasing a statement on the matter is great news. The fact that the summit meeting is secure enough so that neither Musharraf and Vajpayee have been assassinated is also great news, especially given the unstability of Musharraf's security a during last month when two attempts were taken on his life. If you have been reading the blog, then you know my thoughts on the topic.

It's the attitudes of Musharraf's hardline Pakistani opposition in his government and military that scare me. None of this people want to see peace with India, and Musharraf's big steps towards such a peace will anger them more. I hope Musharraf's got his shit together regarding his personal security.