3/08/2004

The Clothespin Endorsement

You may have noticed, with some surprise, that I put up a donation link for Kerry and titled it "Clothespin Endorsement." I do this with some hesitation, and I feel a need to explain myself before people start getting the wrong ideas.

I don't like Kerry, anybody who has read this blog over the past month knows that. I won't go over my reasons again. So why endorse him? Because having a shitty John Kerry administration is 10 times better than having to deal with Bush for another 4 years, and I don't want to be subject to what Bush can do with 4 years where he doesn't have to worry about getting reelected. Christ, look at what gotten away with for the past 3+ years.

Yes, I think the Democrats should grow a pair of testicles and nominate a real candidate. Yes, I hate to support a candidate who will only get my vote because he's our best chance of getting Bush out of the White House, since supporting a middle of the road jackass only reinforces the Democrats belief that they can throw up any asshole and we'll vote for him because the Republican option is so much worse. But what other choice do we have in 2004? There are a few things which will be guaranteed if Bush is reelected. The federal courts will become rabidly conservative and stay that way until we're supposed to be on Social Security, which we won't stand a chance of receiving since Bush can't keep his hands off the money to give it to his rich friends. Abortion will be made illegal. Civil rights will take a step backwards. More needless wars will be fought. The economy will tank even further then it has already. And this is just the tip of the iceburg... We can't have this.

Kerry is at a disadvantage. Quite honestly, he's not the best candidate Democrats could have run, and he's going to have a lot of trouble getting the independent voters he needs to win the election. The Bush Campaign also has the money advantage, and that's where Kerry needs our help. That's why I put up a link to donate to him, he needs the money. In this election, we just can't practice democracy by holding our nose while pulling the lever for Kerry, we have to open our wallets, too. And then, if you can stand it, we have to goto the streets with a bunch of Kerry flyers and register voters. I'm not upto this point yet, I'm still disgusted with the man, but I'm working my way there because I can't let my ego interfer with this election. Neither should you.

Once Kerry is elected, I promise we can duke it out with the these spineless Democrats for the next 4 years. The last thing we want to do is let them rest and become the moderate Republicans that we're used to, but even if that happens, I'd rather have a moderate in office then an extremist. We've got to get Bush out of office, and that means supporting Kerry in whatever ways possible. I'm willing to grab a clothespin, affix it to my nose, and kick my ego to the curb for the next 8 months. I hope you are, too.