The Politics of Beheading
A headless politician was found in Italy today. Nobody knows who committed the crime, but everyone suspects the Camorra crime syndicate. (You know, the mob.) So I guess other cultures beyond Arabs behead people! Now I'm just waiting for a huge outcry from the Right about how we have to find these terrorists and people like me are a bunch of assholes for paying attention to prisoner torture.
Still waiting... Still waiting... Hm, I better not hold my breath.
Yeah, yeah, OK, point proven. Now you, the reader, will either think one of two things: I'm right or I'm a dick who's been disrespectful to Nick Berg. And I don't mean to be disrespectful to Berg; I don't mean to make him a political pawn. But, unfortunately, the Right has. They have tried telling us that we should pay more attention to his beheading then the prisoner torture at Abu Ghraib (and likely elsewhere) that my tax dollars have paid for. And I hate to sound so callous, but am I supposed to be fucking shocked that Berg was beheaded? God, the government of Saudi Arabia beheaded 52 people in 2003, and we SUPPORT them. Yet when a second American is beheaded by terrorists in Iraq, I'm supposed to be shocked? Jesus. I'm not saying that this isn't a horrible death, but it's not like this is anything new, either.
In the meantime, 33 of our Iraqi prisoners have died while in our custody. We found this out after the nation finds out that we've been torturing prisoners, and somehow I'm not supposed to pay attention to this story? Somehow the media is "liberal" and "against Bush" because it pays attention to this story more than it does Nick Berg's? You know what, for anybody who thinks this: Fuck you. Fuuuuuck you. I'm sick of trying to rationalize this. If you think this is a case of bias against Bush, then you're a fucking moron.
I'm so goddamn fucking sick of the partisan attitude in this country. The Right is so fucked, so twisted, that they have the audacity to accuse people like me of bias when I pay more attention to 33 deaths and systemic torture, then I do the beheading of one American in a region of the world where beheadings are common. This mindset is completely fucked. I realize I'm not being articulate right now, but fuck it, I don't know how else to put it. People with this mindset are completely and totally fucked, and I'm frustrated that their extreme biases won't let them see the forest for the trees. And then they turn around and accuse me of bias.
33 to 1, fuckos. 33 to 1. You tell me which number is more important. In the meantime, the mob in Italy is beheading political opponents. If beheading is such an atrocious crime as the Right would have us believe, then I expect a huge Berg-like outcry from them and their blogs.
Still waiting...

<< Home