6/22/2004

Nader goes Green

Earlier this year, I predicted that Nader wouldn't be a factor in the upcoming presidnetial race because there was now way he could launch a grassroots efforts to net the signatures he needed to get on the ballot in many states.

Technically, I wasn't wrong. But on my main point about Nader not being a factor, I'll probably be very, very wrong.

Nader recently annouced his running mate: Peter Camejo. This name may not be familiar to you, but you're also not a former member of the RI Green Party's Coordinating Committee. I have such status, so I can tell you that Mr. Camejo's name is huge among Green Party activists around the country. They all know his name, and they all love him. Hell, I'm not going to badmouth the man; from what I gather, he's a nice guy who would make a fine vice president.

So, what importance does this have if Nader is running a campaign independent of the Green Party? Here's why:

This year, the party's strategy has pundits guessing: more than 40% of delegates are either uncommitted or pledged to "none of the above," an option the party gave voters in several Green primaries. As a result, Greens hold the only major convention whose outcome won't be known until delegates actually vote (on Saturday, June 26).

Even though David Cobb "won" the most delegates in Green Party primaries, Nader just made himself the favorite.

If Nader wins the Greens nomination this weekend, he'll be on the ballot in 22 states.

I know I sound like a traitor complaining about Nader simply being on the ballot, but this is a problem. We all know what Bush is capable of if he's elected to a second term, and he has to lose this election. Even if it means propping John Kerry as our next president. We can fight Kerry's policies after he's elected, but in the meantime, we have to make sure he wins the election. Nader will sap votes from his campaign. It's Republicans who are signing his petitions to get him on the ballots. He's not going to sap votes away from Bush, he must realize this. I just wish he would admit this and bow out of the the campaign before he causes some real damage.