Economic growth.. Maybe
I like the BBC. However, I have to take exception to one headline for an article they published today: "US economic growth soars". While it's true that our economy has grown, I can't see why such a positive headline was attached to this story when I can find this paragraph in the article:
But despite the massive boost to the economy, some economists are warning that growth - forecast at about 4% for the final quarter and into next year - could stumble if the US's jobs drought continues.
The headline just adds some unnecessary spin to the article, because I don't think it's all that positive. The job outlook may be getting rosier, though; I have been getting a call or two a week from headhunters because I'm too lazy to take my resume off Monster. (Of course, witht he state my job field is in, all I'm wanted for is contract positions, where I'm not actually employed by the companyt hat I work for, so I probably wouldn't get all those neat things like raises, benefits, holiday pay, and vacation. I got that 5 years ago, and my salary has only marginally changed since then, too.) But the fact still stands that a lot of people remain unemployed.
So, since the BBC added their own spin to this story, I see no problem if I do the same thing. Here are some of my favorite comments on this story from Fark:
"It's pretty easy to show a 7% growth rate when you've been running at 0% for almost a year. "
"Tell that to all the folks who've been laid off. I'm sure it'll make their day."
"Who needs job growth when you can have increased productivity? More Work! Less Pay!"
"Now if we could only do something about the unemployment and corporate welfare..."
"Amazing, isn't it, that the Republicans are so desperate to claim good economic news that they'll rave about anything - even a cry of "Look! The defecit isn't quite as massive as we predicted!"
"So the economy automatically becomes good simply by someone saying it is good? Wow, that's incredible let me try...... "I'm a millionaire........" "....hmm.....err....." "I'm a millionaire!!!!........" HEY!, how long does this take to work anyway?"

<< Home