Bring on the Rabble
So, what's happening with "NAFTA on steroids", the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA)? Canada's Globe and Mail reports that FTAA talks, to be held this week in Miami, could fall apart. Reminds me of the WTO conference in Cancun earlier this year that fell apart. If globalization isnt your thing, then this is good news. My favorite paragraph in the article contains even better news:
Separately, anti-globalization protesters are threatening to disrupt Miami talks in numbers that haven't been seen since rioting sunk WTO talks in Seattle four years ago. Organizers are predicting between 25,000 to 100,000 demonstrators and Miami shopkeepers are boarding up their stores, and in some cases sleeping in them, to safeguard goods from rioting.
Not that I'm into rioting, but I am into protesting (and no, the two activities are not synonymous). If Miami has 100,000 protesters in the streets to take a stand against globalization (which has to be one of the most boring topics on the planet in my opinion, and that's coming from a guy who enjoys reading about politics), that makes me happy. I may even contemplate a roadtrip.

<< Home