3/27/2004

Saturday is... Sex Day? - Sex Open Thread

I've been thinking (this usually means trouble), saturdays are kind of a blow off day as far as blogging goes. People aren't at work, they're out and about enjoying the afternoon or getting bombed at night. I'm guilty of not updating the site as frequently on the weekends, but I want to do something that gives people an interest in coming here if they happen to be around a computer. And what better topic than sex to get your attention? :)

Besides, frank talk about sex is needed. I've known this, but I really realized it tonight. I went out to eat with a couple friends and, as usual, our loud conversations entered into the realm of sex. This makes people uncomfortable, and anybody who's eating around us usually leave as quickly as possible. But first they get real quiet, like they're listening... Then leave. Cycle repeats since we sit there for a couple hours, shooting the shit. Either people are really interested in our conversations, or it makes them really uncomfortable.

Or all of the above.

Why is it so uncomfortable to talk about sex? You can hardly bring up the topic, and when you do, everyone's uncomfortable about it. I still feel uncomfortable discussing it in a public place. And don't get me started on the whole Janet/Super Bowl crap which just proves how sexually repressed we are.

While this repression is cute to laugh at, it's also a problem. Sex is something we should feel free to talk about because it's so important, so common, and has a profound affect on our lives. Yet talking about it, hence learning about it, is shunned. For a topic with such universal qualities, it needs to be discussed freely and without prejudice. And besides, talking about sex is fun. :)

So here's the trial run of sex open threads every saturday. Leave a comment, say whatever you want, and feel free to be has anonymous as you want if you so choose. Saturday is Sex Day!