3/30/2004

This isn't a solution

John Kerry wants to lower gas prices by restricting oil to goto our emergency stockpile. I can't see how this is a good idea... What happens in case of an embargo? It's not like we haven't pissed off the Middle East enough right now. Speaking of countries that we've pissed off, we can't fall back on Venezuela to help maintain our oil supplies.

If he wants gas prices lowered for reasonable means, I'd like to suggest placing a higher tax for gas on suburban SUV owners who are using so much gas that it's trashing the balance of supply and demand, but that would be hugely unpopular. (Even if it's fair, as fa as I'm concerened.) For a suggestion that would be more popular, I'd like it if Kerry proposed keeping and increasing the tax credit for people who purchase hybrid automobiles, but this won't provide immediate relief for gas prices. Cutting the reserves may provide the only immediate relief, but it's not really a good idea.

Kerry needs to do the right thing and create a plan for alternative energy. Why drill for oil in Alaska when you can power cars immdiately with corn ethanol, while putting in place a 10 year plan for hydrogen cars to go from pipe dream to mainstream?

Think using corn ethanol is a radical idea?

Illinois doesn't. Neither does Canada, who (I believe, but I can't read French) go beyond a mere 10% blend of corn ethanol with gas and allow you to fill up completely with corn ethanol.

I've filled up at both these pumps and my car ran fine. But it seems that no matter how much I preach about the benefits of corn ethanol, nobody ever listens to me. (Well, nobody super important, at least.)

I've said it once and I'll say again: Alternative energy, alternative energy, alternative energy! I want you to say it, too. When John Kerry's campaign blog makes a post about this issue today, go there and post a comment about alternative energy. Link to this post. Maybe it will get somebody's attention.