4/29/2004

Start feeling important

So the government is watching blogs. Go ahead, try and act surprised.

I'd like to leave it at that, but for some reason, I feel I must elaborate by plucking some obvious examples out of the air. Given our history (COINTELPRO, hint hint), I wouldn't be shocked if intelligence agents tried infiltrating the blogosphere by setting up their own blogs and publishing false stories, trying to get the gullible bloggers to jump on the bandwagon. Currently in their infancy, blogs represent pure, unadulterated information that's free of government propaganda. To any self-respecting government, this equals a threat. Just ask China, the government there is already trying to ban blogging and the readig of blogs. Furthermore, it's not like intelligence agencies have to do all that much work to watch blogs. Blogs lay everything out in an organized fashion. They don't have to train agents to mimic Vietnam war protesters, send themto demonstrations and have them attempt to cause violence to discredit the other protesters. All they have to do is grab a cup of coffee and read. Given my background (Seattle 99, Philly/Boston 2000, DC/Inauguration 01, Cincinnati 02; former coordinating committee member of the RI Green Party), I wouldn't be surprised if a fed is reading this right now. (Hi G-Man!) I'm not afraid, either.