5/11/2004

Nader sues Texas to get on presidential ballot

Ralph says that Texas' requirements for third party candidates to get on the ballot are unconstitutional, since major party candidates have an easier time making the ballot. I may have agreed with him 4 years ago, but now I think Nader can't get onto the ballot because he just doesn't have the popular, grassroots support. He's still campaigning like it's 1999 and he refuses to modernize his efforts. He couldn't even throw his hat into the ring until the Democratic nominee was sure to be Kerry, which was much too late as far as I'm concerned. On top of that, he's candidacy to supposedly build third parties is going to destroy the best chance third parties have of becoming a major party, and the biggest party he helped build: The Green Party.

Democrat pundits think Nader can tip the election to Bush, but let's face it: the guy can't get on the ballot in any states that matter. The only thing Nader will successfully accomplish is destroying any chance the Greens had at becoming a major party, which goes completely against his platform of running to build third parties. I voted for Nader in 1996 and pounded the pavement for him in 2000, but this isn't the same Nader. He destroyed his popular support even among those who want to build an alternative third party. I wish he would just admit that he's fucking things up and stop trying to become a politician.