H.R. 4520, Section 692
Lately, there's been buzz around an amendment to a (corporate) tax relief bill introduced on the House on 6/4/2004. This amendment, called "Safe Harbor for Churches", would allow congregations to partake in partisan political activity and still keep their tax exempt status. As you can imagine, this goes against every tenet of the "separation of church and state" which freedom loving Americans everywhere are supposed to enjoy.
I'm only commenting on this issue because there's a buzz around it right now. But I'm honestly not sure where it's going to go yet. The whole bill is only a week old, and there's no telling if it has a chance to pass the House or not. And if it does pass the House, it goes to the Senate where the Democrat's strength is much stronger, and I would hope they have the balls to kick this bill to the curb. And, honestly, are you really surpised that religious crackpots would try to legislate this?
I'm just not sure if the bill, and the issue, has legs yet. But it's good to keep an eye on it, in case it becomes a threat.

<< Home