Let's Fucking Go!!!
Hmmm, this is odd. I was going to complain that I didn't see a single story about Sudan on my New York Times RSS feed today, but they apparently had one. At the end of this Sydney Morning Herald article, it clearly states "Reuters, The New York Times." THis story was at the top of my SMH RSS feed, but if I goto nytimes.com and search the page for "Sudan" or "Darfur", nothing is found.
One would wish mainstream American news organizations like the New York Times, if they are working on reporting these stories, would makes them easily available. I can only hope that it's on the front page of today's edition and I'll be forced to eat some crow, but I'm not expecting to whip out my fork anytime soon.
What's also worth pointing out in the SMH Sudan article is the final section:
HOW TO HELP:
UNICEF Australia: Phone 1300 884 233 or online at: http://www.unicef.org.au
CARE Australia: 1800 020 046 or http://www.careaustralia.org.au.
Red Cross: 1800 811 700 or http://www.redcross.org.au
Medecins Sans Frontieres: 1300 136 061 or 1800 063 496, or http://www.msf.org.au
World Vision Australia: 13 32 40 or http://www.worldvision.com.au
How to help... Fuck! That's a novel idea! Instead of the media simply reporting an article about an obvious atrocity and leaving it be, SMH actually tells their (Austrailian readers, at least) where they can go to provide help. Why can't the American mainstream press follow suit with such a great idea? In fact, right now, I bet you're wondering what you can do to help. Since the New York Times won't tell you, I suggest reading this post from Sudan: The Passion of the Present. It will point you in the right direction.
As for the SMH article itself, it talks about the Sudanese government giving into the demands of the UN Security Council's resolution. I'll believe it when I see it, because the Sudanese government has said in the past that they are trying to stop the bleeding in Darfur and, quite frankly, they lied. Indeed, right now, the Sudanese government says they will comply with the resolution in 90, not 30, days. This is unacceptable. We've already given the Sudanese government more than a month, now we gave them another month, but they want 3 months? And what happens after 90 days if we find out that they lied to the whole world again? How many people will be dead after that?
...as for some good news, French troops in Chad are delivering aid to refugees.

<< Home