You wanna see waffling? Check out the Sudanese government.
First the Sudanese goverment said it was OK for 2000 African Union troops to help stop the genocide in Darfur. Well, now it's not. This news comes on the heels of the Arab League's dispicible stance of demanding that the UN extend the Sudanese government's deadline for doing something about the crisis. Why? The Sudanese government hasn't done jackshit to show thw rest of the world that they won't stop supporting the Janjaweed, nevermind actually stopping them.
The Sudanese government claims that they are trying to alleviate the situation by sending in more members of their police force. But they are recruiting the Janjaweed to become Sudanese police. Seriously. The linked article covers other recent details, including this blurb:
On the contrary, there are reports from new refugees arriving in the Kalma refugee camp, outside Kass, where 80,000 people have gathered, that Sudanese government aircraft have been involved in fresh bombing attacks on nearby villages.
Meanwhile, the EU refuses to call this genocide. Great. Thanks for helping, assholes. You'd figure that the region of the world which includes such famous vacation resorts as Auschwitz and Treblinka would be somewhat concerned about the crisis in Sudan, but apparently they couldn't give a crap.
This earns the EU a place next to Bush on my Genocide Watch counter. I never thought I'd see the day where a Republican dominated US Congress was more progressive than the EU, and I'm not sure if I should be proud or petrified.

<< Home