"I need my fucking johnson!" 'What do you need that for, Dude?'
Capitol Banter links to a Gadflyer article which discusses Bush's manliness, or lack thereof. This is a topic that's been on my mind lately. How much of a role does Bush's testosterone levels play in someones decision to vote for him?
I suppose I'm different from other men since I actively try to avoid fights. The last time I had a physical altercation I reacted to was in fifth grade, a bully targetted me in the background specifically because I wouldn't fight back. So everyday this kid would jump me, and after a couple minutes he'd get me on the ground. Even though I wouldn't fight back, I was so used to getting jumped that I learned how to tough it out and make my opponent work to get my ass to the ground. But, naturally, I got sick of the constant harassment, and followed up on my Dad's advice - "Hit'em!" The next time he jumped me, I socked him one. Truth be told, it was a poor punch, but I made my point. Even if it took me a couple months to finally sock him, I still didn't want to do it.
The last time I got smacked was when I was 14. At this age, I looked pretty similar to what I am now - six foot, big bones, pretty strong, looked like I could play linebacker for the high school football team. So it's not like a little kid was getting the business, and I could have easily put up a good fight. I just prefer not to fight, so after I received an open palmed smack across the face, I simply did nothing. I knew it was an invitation to take the gloves off, but I wasn't accepting it, and there was no way I would throw any blows unless I was forced to defend myself. Eventually, my opponent laughed at me, got his friends to laugh at me, and walked away.
What do you think most men would have done in such a situation? I think, unfortunately, that this is the crux of the matter for many voters in this election. We all know two things: the majority of white males would beat the shit out of anybody who slaps them, and the majority of white males are going to vote for Bush.
How many Bush voters are worried about the issues? They may pretend to be, but you know in the back of their mind that they think Kerry is a wimp and they are scared that he wouldn't defend the country. Dick Cheney perfectly articulated this mindset last week when he instigated that the country would get hit with another terrorist attack if Kerry is elected. This mindset that we constantly have to display our strength is a powerful force on the right. These people don't think when they are hit, they simply react. They think, "How could somebody dare hit me!," without stopping to think about the reasons why the situation came to pass and their role in bringing it on. Then they foolishly believe that just as long as they display their strength, make sure people know that they are a force to be reckoned with, then they'll never be hit again. That's what the war in Iraq is all about. This is why there's no huge public outcry about the lack of WMDs or the general uselessness of this war. Your typical Bush voter doesn't care about evidence, their concern is to simply beat the everloving shit out of something, anything, then beat their chests while screaming "DON'T FUCK WITH ME!!" That's what the Iraq war is, that's what Vietnam was, and that's what the Cold War was. We had to put on an overt display of force, otherwise the communists/islamists/fill-in-the-blank enemy will think of us as weak and take us over. Remember, if we don't stop the Viet Cong now, we'll be fighting them in the streets of San Francisco!
Problem is we're not.
Now one can argument that's an outdated example since 9/11 happened on our soil and we know that al-Qa'ida maintains terrorist cells within our borders. Those people would be correct, the fight has been brought to us, and I'm concerned about al-Qa'ida. My concern is the reason why I oppose the war in Iraq, because all Operation Chest Beating has done is given Osama bin Laden a great reason to recruit new al-Qa'ida members, and the size of his organization has increased. Al-Qa'ida isn't on the run, and if we're not careful, they'll be the ones flexing their muscles in the future.
But the typical Bush voter doesn't think about this. You see, it's just not manly to think after you've been smacked around. They simply go with the gut reaction to strike back and strike hard, instead of weighing your options and strike wisely if it's needed. The latter, as far as I'm concerned, is a basic tenet of national security, but they don't think about this. For many Bush voters, they are casting their votes based on a gut instinct of how they'll react to getting hit. Is it any wonder why many Americans are scared of Republicans, and why many other people around the world are scared of Americans?

<< Home