9/09/2004

Let's just stand by and do nothing while people fucking die

I tried, I really tried, to read the latest news on Sudan...

The United States circulated a draft Security Council resolution on Sudan on Wednesday threatening penalties on its oil industry, expanding an African Union force monitoring violence in the Darfur region and calling for the United Nations to create an international commission to determine whether genocide had occurred.

...but I couldn't get past the first paragraph.

This is just getting fucking ridiculous. It was almost 40 days ago when we got a UN Security Council resolution passed giving the Sudanese government a 30 day deadline before we enforced sanctions on their ass, and now we're just going to try passing another resolution? We're going to put together "an international commission to determine whether genocide had occurred." Had? Had occured? This implies that genocide is already fucking happening! Worse, we're not doing a fucking thing about it! How many have died at this point, 30,000 - 50,000? How many thousands more will perish before we do something?