Redrafting the topic
Not to beat a dead horse, but another thing about the draft: To prove that Bush would reinstate the draft, I only took our situation in Iraq into account. I didn't even consider the possibilities of us or Israel going to war with Iran, or North Korea going apeshit and nuking either South Korea or Japan. (Or both.) Those two situations could reasonably become a reality after the election.
Then, of course, when the draft comes, they could change the draft age. I just turned 26 this year and thought I was safe from any future drafts, but I feel that my veneer of safety is gone completely if Bush wins a second term. That man could raise the draft age to 32.
The facts are really against Bush on this one. Many of us who have been right all along about the Iraq war have pointed out that our military is stretched incredibly thin, and now stuck in a hopeless war that's just going to turn into another Vietnam. What if we face an actual military threat? What do we do then?
Make no mistake: If Bush is releected, there will be a draft. Everyone under 30 whose reading this could end up in a bodybag before 2008. And to be selfish for a minute, this election isn't just a matter of life and death for Iraqis and members of our volunteer military, it's a matter of life and death for me, too. And I don't feel like dying right now. I'm sure many people in my position are thinking the same thing.

<< Home