10/26/2004

Another muffled explosion

After I rolled out of bed and checked my email tonight, I saw this Greg Palast article Rimone sent to me.

A secret document obtained from inside Bush campaign headquarters in Florida suggests a plan - possibly in violation of US law - to disrupt voting in the state's African-American voting districts, a BBC Newsnight investigation reveals.

In a just world, this story would be explosive. Hell, in a just world, this story would first be reported in the right country. But, just like Palast's blockbuster that appeared on the front pages in Britain 4 years ago, I imagine this story will be as equally ignored.

And that's just demoralizing to me right now.

I can't help but feel a little bit defeated with the recent news cycle. What stories have we seen in the past 4-5 days? 380 tons of explosives were stolen from under our noses and nobody knows who has them or where they are, Ohio Sec. of State Blackwell is guilty of voter disenfranchisement to the highest order yet an Appeals Court judge is perfectly fine with it, the GOP is pulling out all the stops to remove potential Democrats from the voting rolls in critical swing states, suspected Democrats are being searched at Bush rallies, and now Palast uncovers a document from the depths of Florida's GOP which catches them red-handed -- It proves that the GOP has a strategy to disenfranchise non-Bush voters. It proves that the Republicans are willign to cheat to win this election.

And yet... None of this matters to the right. None of it. The explosives, the disenfranchisement, Bush's brown shirt tactics; absolutely none of this matters. You want to know what the right is complaining about right now? The timing of CBS and NYT publishing BangFuckBoomGateâ„¢. They have managed to overlook the fact that 380 tons of explosives were stolen in a crime which could have been prevented so they can complain about how liberal the media is for prining such a story so close to election day.

I'm absolutely stunned. Truly, honestly amazed... I almost can't believe what's happening in America. I have been accused of not seeing other people's point of views, but let me tell you something: If President Gore were in office and launched an invasion against Iraq, I'd be just as critical of him. And of President Gore allowed 380 tons of explosives to be looted, I'd be just as critical of him. To me, it doesn't matter who is in office, what matters is what happens.

I do not share the same concerns with the right-wing, though. Today, their side has demonstrated to me that they just don't give a damn about what happens, only who it happens to. So before I settle down to watch the Sox kick the Cardinals ass, I'll leave with this final thought: When a roadside bomb blows a few more soldiers into a million little pieces, that's when I care about "who it happens to."