11/24/2004

Peace

Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukrainian opposition deputy and top ally of Ukraine's pro-Western presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko, places carnations into the shields of anti-riot policemen standing outside the presidential office in Kiev, November 23, 2004. Thousands of Ukrainian opposition supporters massed near the president's office on Tuesday seeking to install their leader in power in defiance of election results they see as rigged by a pro-Moscow government. REUTERS/POOL

I'll be the first to admit that I have little knowledge of the Ukraine and I'll be just as involved in my crash course about the country as the rest of you. I don't know what Viktor Yushchenko, the opposition candidate in their disputed elections, stands for. But this photo of Yulia Tymoshenko, his "top ally," displays the best way I've even seen to deal with riot police. And if this is symbolic of what Yushchenko stands for, then I'm standing with him.