11/17/2004

The Right-Wing Thought Police

When Glenn Reynolds isn't busy slandering John Kerry and implying that a Marine who is guilty of cold-blooded murder should get a silver star, he's making long posts about known hateful whackos like, uhm, Garrison Keillor. Quoting part of what Reynolds quoted:

Not one to shy away from speaking his mind, Keillor proposed a solution to what he deemed a fundamental problem with U.S. elections. “I’m trying to organize support for a constitutional amendment to deny voting rights to born-again Christians,” Keillor smirked. “I feel if your citizenship is in Heaven—like a born again Christian’s is—you should give up your citizenship. Sorry, but this is my new cause. If born again Christians are allowed to vote in this country, then why not Canadians?”

Well, I guess Democrats aren't even allowed to crack jokes and talk about Bush voters in a frank fashion anymore, now are they? But as long as we all agree with the right that Marnies who shoot unarmed Iraqis should be awarded silver stars, then I guess we will all be normal!

Fuck you, Glenn.

...And Power Line called Keillor's jokes "sick." But laughing at widows and sending 200 trolls at a blog which disagrees with you is OK, right? Fuck you too, Power Line.

How did we ever come to harbor such backwards ass fucking assholes in this country, anyway?

...Two more thoughts:

1) If this isn't the right's typical "Let's take something from nothing and make a problem out of it!" non-problem, then I don't know what is.

2) But I do know what the real problem is: The fact that the right seeks to create problems over meaningless bullshit like this. The irony of seeing fucktards like Reynolds and Power Line bitch over this (It's "sick?" Oh, please) lies in the fact that Keillor's comments are funny because we know there's a ring of truth to them. We know Bush's more fanatical supporters see things in the light he's joking about, and we also know that they want to convert us. Hence, censor us. The right is only enforcing the strength of Keillor's satire when they single him out.