11/25/2004

Some Thanksgiving musings on intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, and Agnosticism

Happy Thanksgiving! I know that I'm going to get about 2 hits today, but I never like to leave the blog blank. So I'll post something I wrote to a friend a while back, where I try to jointly explain why I'm Agnostic and how there's no possible way that Earth harbors the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe. So, if you're into that sort of thing, enjoy.

Humans, in general, are very self-centered. It's just a part of our nature. We are the chief population of one small planet in the universe, and there's so many possibilities for life to exist elsewhere in the universe that the notion of one single God giving us all this attention amazes me. Nobody can say for certain that other intelligent life exists out there, but this is the conclusion I've come to which, I think, almost proves the existence of other intelligent life: Planets and the satellites of planets are all capable of harboring life, given the right conditions. Going around our Sun, which is just one star, we have 9 planets and I'll guesstimate 45-50 satellites revolving around those planets. That's nearly 60 possibilities for intelligent life at just one star in the universe. Nobody knows how many stars there are in the universe; one recent estimate I found is 70 sextillion. (And that's just in the known universe.) We can't assume that every star has it's own plantery system, so we'll say half the stars in the universe have a plantery system similar to our sun. So, 35 sextillion * 60 = the number of celestial bodies in the known universe that could harbor life. For anyone keeping count, that's 21,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. My rough and unscientific calculations say there's 21 septillion celestial bodies that could possibily hold intelligent life. Given this knowledge, nobody can tell me that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe, and that we have this one God who created the universe and only pays attention to Earth.

After coming to this conclusion, I decided that trying to come to other conclusions about the unanswered questions of life is a pointless exercise.