Some late Thanksgiving wishes
Around this time last year, I resided at a house in the sub-ghetto of Providence and called my light blogging alerts "Igloo Blogging" since my computer room lacked heat and I blogged until my hands were literally too cold to continue. Then I would go downstairs where there was heat -- the portion of the house where my roommate and "friend" for almost a decade lived -- and I was forced to put up with her puppy rottweiler that she kept caged all in the only unheated room in her portion of the house. He had grown too large for the cage she kept him, but she never got him a bigger one; he had to stay in that cage during the day while she was at work, and most of the night because she frequently became annoyed with him... Much like a child gets annoyed with a toy and opts to play with a new one. I hated the fucking beast, but I also felt sorry for him. So I ended up taking better care of that dog then she ever did. I took him out for walks and let him roam around the heated portion of the house until I couldn't take his overbearing, untrained presence anymore, and escaped back upstairs when my hands were warm enough to do some blogging again.
I very much felt like I was in prison living there. When my "friend" kicked me out after I asked for heat one too many times, it was probably more of a blessing than a curse. Which doesn't mean that I don't still harbor bitter hatred for the bitch that lured me into moving back to Rhode Island with the promise of a place to live, but I'm just saying. To add insult to injury, she kicked me out the day a blizzard came through the area. I was also holding down two jobs at the time, working 60 hours a week and unable to move all of my stuff out at once. She knew this, but it didn't stop her from complaining about how my moving process just wasn't quick enough to her tastes.
All in all, this year has been a lot better. Despite the loneliness and frequent bouts of depression that I generally don't discuss, at least I have a roof complete with heat over my head. Even though I'm back with my parents for the time being, at least I'm living somewhere where I'm wanted. And after 2003: Year of the Mindfuck, that alone is enough reason for me to be thankful.

<< Home