Crush Kill Destroy
So who hasn't had to vent about the Department of Motor Vehicles in their state? I can one-up that, though, because I have two to complain about: the DMV in RI, and their counterpart in Ohio.
Since I moved here, I still haven't registered my car for Ohio, and I still have my Rhode Island plates. At the beginning of this month, my RI registration expired, and I have been driving it around unregistered ever since. (Just for the record, out of the 25 states my car has been in, I've driven in while unregistered in 8 states!)
Before my registration expired, I went to two Ohio BMV offices, explained that my registration was about to expire, but I was moving back to RI in a month anyways, and if there was anything they could do about giving me a temporary registration. At both offices, they told me no.
Well, I thought, I would just drive it around unregistered in Ohio and when I move back to RI, I'll rent a truck and get something to attach my car to the back of the truck. This was my solution until last week, when I found out that renting truck to move what little belongings I have would run me, at least, an astounding $1100. I couldn't sell my couch, bed, coffee table, and end tables for that price (I paid $600 for them in the first place), so there's no way I can justify that expense. So, now I have to drive across the county and - OH SHIT! - my car is still unregistered!
I called the RI DMV to see if I could get a temporary plate. The first 20 numbers I tried (that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much) were busy. I tried a non-main office, they picked up - with a machine telling me to call the main number. Which was busy. I finally got through on another number I tried, an they transferred me to an extension which was fucking busy. After half an hour of dealing and screaming, I finally got through to somebody who told me that I would have to come into an office. I told them that this would be a problem, given the fact that I am 800 miles away from the nearest office.
Big fucking help.
So, rather desperate right now, I called back the Ohio BMV, only to get someone who told me that they COULD give me a temporary registration as long as I brought in my expired registration, title, and license.
God fuckin damnit, why couldn't they have told me this a month ago?! I went out of my way to goto two of their fucking offices. Can they hire people who DON'T have their head firmly enlodged up their ass? Jesus.
So now, since I am mostly packed, I have to rummage through a bunch of boxes to look for my title. Moving would be a lot easier if the general population was fucking competent with their jobs. But nope, because of other people's stupidity, I have to bust my ass. Nothing ever changes.

<< Home