5/26/2003

Who remembers the innocent?
I'm listening to "Talk of the Nation" on NPR right now, and after I finish typing this, I'll be turning it off in disgust and popping in either a Minor Threat or Methadones CD. They are doing a Memorial Day show because, obviously, today is Memorial Day. The guest, whose name I forget, is talking about the war memories that he and other people had, how older veterans are effected by war memories, etc. It's just a whole big nostalgia lovefest.

Someone just called into the show and he sounded worried. The basic point that this caller made was that there is no "Memorial Day" for the innocent victims of war, pointing out that not everyone wants to goto war, we don't even know how many Iraqi citizens died, etc.

First the host asked that his comments go back onto the "topic" of the show. When the caller continued to press his point, he was hung up on.

What about the innocent victims of war? Where's their day? And why is it that questioning the notion of war itself is not allowed? On NPR, they are talking about the war memories Vietnam Vets have, but airing the opinion that our involvement in Vietnam was needless just isn't allowed. How fucking patriotic. Remind me to fucking puke.

Here's to more needless wars. Memorial Day isn't going away anytime soon, we need more guilty reasons to have a cookout! Remember, God Bless America and fuck the rest of the world (especially France)! I'm now feeling thoroughly American.