6/15/2003

With this Bush fundraiser, it sounds like he has seen the future. We have to remember that Dubya, while governor of Texas, partly owned the Texas Rangers Baseball Club. He played a primary role in bilking taxpaying Texas citizens into funding the Rangers new stadium, thus increasing the value of the team so that when his group of investors sold the ball club, he became a millionaire.

But that's besides the point. The last time I went to see a major league game was in another stadium that the tax payers built, Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. It cost me $11 to get seats behind the plate in the highest section of the stadium. If I wanted to get a 20 ounce bottle of soda, it was $5. A "foot long" hot dog which was surprisingly very skinny and short on meat was, I think, $4. When I eat, I kinda like to fill up my stomach, I think that's a basic point of food consumption. To fill up my tummy at a Reds game, I would reasonably need two hot dogs and a soda. We're looking at $13-14 there, on top of my $11 that I had to pay for shitty seats in the nosebleed section. I didn't have too much money left for peanuts and crackerjacks.

Dubya is just advancing the baseball philisophy on food costs, a philisophy which he helped propagate while owning the Texas Rangers. (I have never been to Texas to watch a ballgame, but I imagine that the food prices also require you to give up your first born son. You could eat like a king of you're a father from Utah who practices polygamy.) Just think, if we keep Dubya in office, then at ballparks across the country (which we paid for) we will be shelling out $1000 just to eat! Isn't capitalism fun?