10/24/2003

Disarming Afghanistan?

Afghan President Karzai has launching "Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration", a program to buy back guns from soldiers to Afghani warlords so a multi-ethnic Afghan army can be put into place. This has been sponsered by the UN and backed by the US.

I heard about this while listening to BBC Newshour this morning, and I thought to myself, "The government is taking away guns to institute a national army? Golly, what would the NRA think about this?!"

After reading this article from Al-Jazeera, I came to the conclusion that the NRA would like Karzai's program after reading the last sentence of the article:

Each militiaman who hands in a weapon will receive $200 in cash. And the price of buying a similar gun on the illegal weapons market? $100!

Zing! It's nice to know that the Bush administration believes in installing governements that have their heads as far up their ass as Bush does.