12/30/2003

I betcha this asshole wishes he was an American [updated]

Parmalat is Europe's "Enron." Italy has Pamalet boss Calisto Tanzi in prison because he has admitted to using his position to steal millions of dollars from the company.

This feels like dreamland when you take a look at what happens to corporate criminals in the United States. Last time I checked, former Enron CEO Ken Lay is a free man. Of course, I guess it helps your cause to have the president in your back pocket.

Update: Maybe it's good to be Italian after all:

Led by Silvio Berlusconi, the nation's prime minister and perhaps its leading business executive as well, Italy has acted to remove criminal penalties for accounting fraud and, in the past week, has rewritten its bankruptcy laws to accommodate the spectacular failure of Parmalat, the giant dairy and food-processing company controlled by the Tanzi family.