WTO forces Bush to lift steel tariffs
This is what happens when you sign free trade agreements. I'm not sure exactly where I stand with this. On one hand, I know that could have tried to use this the line the pockets of steel company CEOs and less to save American jobs. On the other side, though, shouldn't a country have the right to do this without an international body threatening sanctions on them? The US is trying to use the WTO to force Europe to eat our genetically modified food that Europeans don't want shoved down their throats. The WTO has mucked things up in other countries, ripping down their democratically elected laws so they can conform to the narrower confines of "free trade". If foreign countries dump cheap steel on the US and we want our jobs to be protected, especially in the current state of our economy, shouldn't we have some freedom to protect our economy?
For those wondering if I have gone nuts and started supporting Bush, let me restate that I don't know Bush's motives. If I were President, I would get a written agreement from steel manufactures saying that if I put up tariffs, then they would preserve steel jobs. But the undemocratic nature that the WTO poses against other countries is one of the main reasons people like me hit the streets of Seattle in 1999. I see no difference between the WTO ruling against the US or a third world nation.

<< Home