The economy's doing fucking fantastic!
I hope you love your shitty wages because the high paying jobs just ain't fucking coming back.
...a study released this week by a Washington, D.C., research group supported by organized labor shows that over the past two years, lower-wage jobs have increasingly supplanted higher-wage jobs in Minnesota and most of the rest of the nation.
Jobs in higher-paying industries effectively have been giving way to jobs in lower-paying industries in 48 of the 50 states since the official end of the recession in November 2001, according to the Economic Policy Institute.
The study, based on federal labor data, found that 29 states not only posted a net job loss for the two years ending in November, but the loss was concentrated in higher paying sectors.
Another 19 states saw a slight job gain, but through disproportionate growth in the low-wage sector.
You know (well, no, you don't, so that's why I'm fucking telling you), I saw an old friend tonight. We got into a conversation and hementioned that he was an anarchist, something I already knew but I waskinda taken aback by it. His lifestyle and mine are two different worlds, and because of that I feel like a sellout. I mean, here I am in my mid-twenties, worried more about jobs, savings, mutual funds for retirement, my car, yadda yadda.. All of these things that apply to myself for my own selfish reasons. He lives with other artists (the artists who have just been evicted in Providence, in fact. I was happy to find out he has a place to live right now) in a collective and basically does what he wants, living outside the system. There's something honorable in that lifestyle, and I wish I could do it. But, I mean, fuck, I'm about to vote Democrat for the first time in my life. Though I haven't mentioned it much, it's killing me. I hate the complexity of politics. The Democrats are just gonna put up another rich white boy as their candidate, he'll try saying he's not a big liberal to appeal to the middle, who end up ruling the country, and the cycle repeats. But we have to vote for whatever asshole they put up no matter how much they suck, because otherwise Bush will get 4 more years and we all know that's worse. So instead of protesting the Democrats and telling them that they're also a bunch of pansy-assed, two-faced fucking liars who are also funded by corporate america, I've resolved myself to holding my tongue and throwing my support behind whatever jackass they throw up for election, and hopefully he gets elected and then I can go back to building a true third party and being an actual activist. And it's fucking killing me. I feel like such a fucking sell out, but I keep reminding myself, "4 more years of Bush will suck more. He'll stack the Supreme Court and ram laws through Congress to make the country so blindingly Republican-Christian fundamentalist for years to coem that I'll beg to get deported to France." And that's not even getting into the deficit. God. Argh. FUCK!
Did I mention that I was frustrated today?

<< Home