What's wrong with Air America?
I hate to hit up Rall's blog twice for posts, but he has interesting things to read this week. On Air America's problems (slightly edited):
As something of a pioneer of leftie talk radio (on KFI Los Angeles from 1998 to 2000, and then again during the fall of 2001), I've taken more of an interest in most in what I feel to be a much needed idea and, if carried out correctly, a potentially profitable business. I've spent the last few weeks listening to Air America pretty much every day, and I think I know what ails them.
First and foremost, the central conceit of using comedy to counter right-wing vitriol doesn't work ... I quickly learned that on radio humor is the icing on the cake, not the main meal. People listen to feel informed, to hear ideas and arguments they can use at work the next day around the water cooler. You don't get that stuff on Air America.
Second, most of the hosts have no talk radio experience...
Third, Air America is reacting to what the Republicans and the right does and says. They don't set their own agenda...
Finally, the editorial content is mushy. A few days ago, I heard Franken try to defend John Kerry on charges of waffling. Look, Kerry IS a waffler. It goes back to Vietnam, when he tried to be a war hero AND a peacenik, a game he's still playing ... A host without credibility won't be listened to.
On Rall's last point, "A host without credibility won't be listened to," I have to disagree with that. I point to Rush, Hannity, and Savage as my counterarguments. But I think most of Rall's arguments against Air America are dead on. I don't have a local station to listen to Air America on, but I have tried listening to Franken's show from the internet stream, and I was bored with it. And, I hate to say it, but Majority Report wasn't that great, either. The only host Rall defends, Randi Rhodes, I listened to while driving through New York last Monday and I really enjoyed her show. All in all, Air America would benefit from taking Rall's advice to heart.

<< Home