After today's attacks, what else is there to say?
Saturday night, I'll be attending a going away party for a friend of a friend being deployed to Baghdad. And, you know, I don't know what to say. The countdown is now at six days before the supposed handover of power, and not only are attacks still being launched, but the resistance seems to be more powerful than ever.
Then I have to read things like this:
Many of the dead yesterday wereIraqi policemen of whom there are 89,000, mostly ill-equipped. One of the many extraordinary aspects of the US occupation is that after a year of heavy military expenditure Iraqi policemen still lack effective submachine guns, bullet-proof vests and armoured vehicles. Even farmers are often better armed than the police.
And are we even going after the right people?
The US has long pushed the idea that a Jordanian called Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, linked to al-Qa'ida and supposed head of the Tawhid and Jihad movement, is the organising genius behind the suicide attacks. This may be so but the evidence for his role is still slight, consisting of a long letter he is believed to have written and statements on Islamic websites. Many members of the present Iraqi government say they believe that Syrian and Iranian intelligence play a much bigger role in the anti-US campaign than is generally appreciated.
Does anybody in the Bush administration even have a clue anymore? Do we even know who we are fighting? What we are doing? When we'll get out of this quagmire so I don't have to worry about friends, and friends of friends, coming home injured or worse?
...and I can't believe he just said this: '"We don't think these attacks were coordinated," Mr Allawi said.' Uhm, what? What? I'm glad we appointed an Iraqi PM with such smarts! God, this whole situation is FUBAR.

<< Home