Practice makes perfect
Before Bush uses the GOP Convention to piss on the dignity of 9/11 victims just so he can try getting a couple more votes, his campaign gets a practice run with a fresh corpse.
As a week-long nationwide farewell got under way, the Bush camp quickly sought to assert ownership over the Reagan legacy, converting its campaign website into a memorial featuring Mr Bush's comments on Mr Reagan's death and links to the late president's speeches.
George Bush Sr, Mr Reagan's vice-president and successor, was brought out to work the morning television shows with eulogies to underline the association. Meanwhile Republican aides dredged up comments by Mr Kerry which were unflattering to Mr Reagan in the 80s.
Democrats retaliated with statements by Mr Bush Sr in 1980, when he ran against Mr Reagan for the Republican nomination.
In other news, I've noticed my writing has become a bit polarizing lately. I've vented my opinions on other blogs where the reactions have been less than friendly. The word "asshole" has been floated, along with an offer for a plane ticket to Montreal as long as I promise never to return. So I want to set the record straight:
- I'm pissed off.
- I have tried my best not to insult Reagan after his death. At the same time, I don't believe the media should print one side of the story and propagate myths. Some people think this is disrespectful and insulting to Reagan's memory. To them, here's my reply: Fucking blow me, dipshit.
- I have done everything I can to take the moral high ground and not politicize Reagan's death. I can't say the same thing for Republicans.
- Some Republicans have even gone as far as to accuse Kerry of insulting Reagan's memory by making his corpse a political football. At the same time, they have no problem performing such actions for their own purposes. Just like they won't bat an eyelash when they perform the despicable action of using 3000 deaths for their own political gain.
- And that's why I'm pissed.
Anything anybody on the left says concerning Reagan at this time, the rabid right wing will take it as an insult. So why should I bother giving a fuck about what I say? It doesn't matter anyway. In their eyes, I'm still a disrespectful asshole because I refuse to shut my mouth while they claim Reagan was a saint. Reagan wasn't a saint, and I would rather see the media do their job and air all sides of the story then become a Republican propaganda machine. This doesn't mean that we can't be respectful to the dead, but we shouldn't lying out our asses and falsely labeling it as "respect".

<< Home