7/26/2004

Literature picked up at the Boston Social Forum, part one

While other bloggers got into the convention, your fearless blogger delivers you stories from the street. And honestly, you're not going to get this coverage anywhere else. It makes me wish I could take time off school and work to spend the whole week in Boston, but, alas, I only had an afternoon.

One thing I picked up in that afternoon was the April/May issue of "The New Black Panther."

Hooooo boy...

Ever get a paper that you couldn't bear to read the articles in because the outward appearence was just so ridiculous? I don't have any Klan literature to compare this rag to, but I'm betting the levels of racism would be similar. It's that bad. And maybe I'm biased, but I can't take anything that derides me as a "cracker" seriously.

Let me rip a few quotes from the paper.

From The Enemies of the New Black Panther Party: "The enemies of the New Black Panther Party are many, and in one way or the other, they are all working together. These enemies include Anti-Defamation League (ADL), FBI, White racist Government and State officials and the White Press. The ADL (led by a devil named Abraham Foxman) is a Zionist racist, criminal, propaganda outfit..." The ADL, FBI, press, and all elements of the government are working together? Wow.

From To Hell With GAY MARRIAGES: "It is a pitiful shame today to see grown men in public kissing and hugging and claiming they are married as 'man and wife'. It is terrible to see two grown women claiming they are entering into 'holy matrimony'. You are sending yourselves straight to hell. We warn Black people to stay out of the White Mans filth and debauchery of homosexuality & the faggot lifestyle." Whoa, was that ghost-written by Fred Phelps or what?

From an album review of Jay Z's 'The Black Album': "Not Black Enough." (It only received two and a half black fists.)

From EMINEM EXPOSED AS A RACIST; BIGOTED LYRICS, they printed some Eminem lyrics telling the reader, "You be the judge." Right above that statement is a photoshopped picture of Mr. Mathers in KKK garb. I see they already were the judge.

What should be most telling is the lack of coverage on Darfur. The only time I saw that this paper even hinted at the genocide is a sentence mentioning "AIDS and wars" in Africa. But there isn't one story about the impending deaths of one million black people if we, as a community, don't take action now. What's the matter guys, are the Sudanese not black enough for you?

[File under unconvention blogging.]