10/28/2004

So, how's dem elections doing in Floriduh?

I'm speechless

Lines have moved so slowly at new touch-screen voting machines that only six votes per hour are being cast in parts of South Florida, a troubling ratio for next week's expected crush of voters. Gov. Jeb Bush ordered election supervisors to "preserve order at the polls" after episodes of voter harassment arose and some workers threatened to abandon their posts when an aide was nearly choked by an angry partisan [gee, I wonder who they were partisan for] who grabbed the identification badge around her neck. And as many as 60,000 absentee ballots here in Broward County have gone unaccounted for.

I can imagine the conversation Jeb Bush had with his advisors. "You know, four years ago, we did a pretty shitty job with our elections, but it just wasn't shitty enough. This year, we're really playing the suck card! We're Florida: Doing better to do worse!"