4/06/2003

I'm really happy that I can read Al Jazeera in English now. I have heard from people in America and elsewhere that it's just like CNN, except it spreads propaganda to the Arab world. It's good to keep that in mind, but you also have to look at the quality of their reporting, and you get great articles like this one which points out how hypocritical the US military is when it comes to the Geneva Convention:

"'Some of the biggest losses we have taken are due to Iraqis committing serious violations of the law of armed conflict and the Geneva Conventions, by dressing as civilians and luring us into surrender situations and opening fire on our troops,' General Richard Myers, Chairman of US Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters days into the invasion of Iraq."

[snip]

"But he seemed to be taken by surprise when an American journalist asked him to comment on the the fact that sections of the US-led force routinely operate out of uniform.

His response was one of a pregnant silence, as if struck by the reminder that US-led special forces are dressing as civilian Iraqis."


Read the article, it gets worse.