11/18/2003

Two things

I've been listening to news on the radio, so I'm not going to provide links. You're just gonna have to trust me.

The Massachusetts Supreme Court has ruled that a ban on gay marriage would be unconstitutional, so they see no problem with allow same sex unions in their state. This is huge, and it could cause a domino effect because a respected court (though not a federal court) has made this ruling. Already, a gay marriage bill is being prepared for the next legislative session in my native homeland, Rhode Island.

Also in RI, Gov. Carceri has filed papers to put Bush's name on the primary ballot, even though nobody is running against him for the Republican nomination. They mentioned that Carceri is Bush's RI Campaign Chairman. This pisses me off. Not that I care who Carceri works for, but isn't this a confflict of interest? The governor of the state, the person partly in charge of certifying the vote, is the head of one of the candidate's campaigns. Shouldn't it be illegal for an official elected to such a high office that Carceri to run the state presidential campaign for a candidate? Katherine Harris, the bitch who stole our democracy, was Florida's Secetary of State when she ran Bush's 2004 campaign in Florida, and ended up certifying the vote for Bush when he didn't actually win. Why is such a situaton still possible?

[Update: I should have said that the court ruled it was unconstitutional as according to Massachusetts constitution, not the US constitution.)