2/16/2004

Morons

Old news from the weekend, but since this comes out of Rhode Island and that's where I live, I have to comment on it, right? College Republicans at Roger Williams University, showing that they are indeed the brightest men and women (errr, maybe just men) at the institution, are offereing a whites-only scholarship to protest affirmative action. It gets worse.

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

What can you say to this? Hey guys, if you're so jealous of all those perks minorities enjoy, think about your own life and ask yourself one question: "Would I like to be black?" If your answer is no but you still want to dismantle affirmative action, here's another solution: Work towards equlity, not racism. I know the facts are difficult to swallow, but programs like affirmative action exist because opportunities for whites and minorities do not exist on a level playing field.

But hey, it's an election year. If you want to make a case for Republicans being racists, be my guest. I hope you cause your candidates to lose a few votes in the process.