4/14/2004

That ain't a tax cut I spy

New York's famous National Debt Clock is changing locations and being upgraded to digital. This upgrade provides a shocking assessment into just how fast our national debt is growing:

[In fact], the debt is now rising so quickly that the last seven numbers of the new clock will be moving too quickly to be read...

Too quick to read, eh? Now why could this be? Is it because there just happens to be a Bush in office? I think that's a good place to start. In fact, I think the White House is the first place people will look, seeing that most people think the national debt takes precedence over tax cuts.

By almost a 2-1 margin, Americans prefer balancing the nation's budget to cutting taxes, according to an Associated Press poll, even though many believe their overall tax burden has risen despite tax cuts over the past three years.

Now how could this be? Don't people like receiving more money? Or maybe they are starting to realize that a federal tax cut means increases in state and local taxes?

"Every time you turn around, there's a new gasoline tax, more property taxes, a library tax — because they don't have enough money," said Tom Artley, a 52-year-old supervisor at a manufacturing plant in Williamsport, Pa. He was referring to increasing financial problems faced by many cities and states.

"I'd like to retire in the next five years," Artley said. "It's scary for people like me who are going to be living on a fixed income."

Yeah, I think that could be it. People also might recognize that the higher our national debt grows without showing signs of decreasing, the more we are going to be taxed eventually. It doesn't take a masters degree in economics to figure out that whatever goes up must come down, and in this case come down hard. Federal taxes are going to go up again eventually because the monkey in the White House pushed them down too far. Personally, I'd rather have a president in office who helps to push those taxes back up for rich people so the bulk of the tax burden doesn't fall on my shoulders, the shoulders of the poor and middle class.

This, I'd like to think, is common sense.