6/28/2003

I'm moving to Britain...
I wish. That statement is half true, I am moving, but it's out of my parents house and into lovely Providence, RI. So if posts sometimes seem like they are few and far between, that's why.

But right now, I wish I was moving to Britain. It's not because I like cricket or want to be surrounded by people who speak in funny accents. The British Press puts up a fight when attacked by the government, and I'm sick of the wussy American press being forced down my throat.

A quick glance at the actions taken by the British and American news agencies should leave no doubt in ones mind about which country has an actual free press and which country has a government propaganda mill masquerading as a free press.

Despite evidence that Bush has lied to the American public about a matter which is slightly more serious than a blowjob, our media will not hold Bush's feet to the fire. Our media will not tell what is now the unbiased truth: Bush lied. Bush's lies have led to the deaths of many Americans who were led to believe that they were fighting for the safety and security of our nation. It has also led to the many deaths of innocent Iraqi civilians. I pity anyone who doesn't find this behavior to be disturbing, sick, and disgusting. This includes members of our media who will not, print the truth in an editorial.

All it took for the media to disgrace President Clinton was a blowjob. You never hear about how Clinton enforced sanctions that took the lives of many Iraqis and bombed the country on almot a weekly basis during his tenure in office. Nope, it was a blowjob that disgraced number 42. It seems that when any American president is guilty of murder, our media doesn't lift a finger.

Not the British media. The British media is pissed. They are pissed at the government for leading their nation into a war with false claims from the Blair administration. No government wants to take criticism from the media lying down, so when a BBC reporter said the Blair administration "sexed up" a dossier on Iraq's weapons, they went on the offensive. British communications chief Alastair Campbell is furious at the BBC, says that the report is false and he is demanding an apology.

The British are a polite people, so I will translate the BBC response into Americanese: "Go fuck yourself!" In a 12 page letter to Mr. Campbell, they have stood by their story and accused the communications chief of trying to intimidate them, and having a personal vendetta against a BBC reporter. Mr. Campbell responded that, in effect, the BBC is a bunchof weasels, and he is organizing top members of the goverment to also demand an apology from the BBC and any news service that aired their story. If they do not receive an apology, the government will, in effect, call mommy and get the "Broadcast Commission" invovled. (I forget the exact name, I would have read the article that reported this over again, but now the Times in London wants me to get a subscription. Quite frankly, I'm too lazy right now.)

It's good to see a news agency sticking by their story in the face of such scandalous actions by the government they are reporting about. When's the last time anyone saw an American news service do this? Hell, they can't even defend themselves against those who float the rather obvious lie about "liberal bias" in the media. After seeing seeing the events transpire in Britain this week, I'm all for burning down Fox News adn CNN offices and forcing the BBC to come here at gunpoint. Why can't we have news that actually questions our own government?