Corn Ethanol could be the way to go
Yesterday's USA Today is sitting in front of me. The top headline says, "Gas costs a record $1.74 a gallon." $1.74? I paid $1.91 yesterday, but, I digress because it gets better. Under that, it says, "Adjusted for inflation, not so bad."
Not so bad?! Sure, against the worst gas prices of all time, the prices aren't "so bad". However, for those of us living with shitty jobs under Bush's economy, it sucks. I guess the editor over at USA Today forgot to add, "Bend over." And as far as I'm concerned, $1.74 may be the national average, but it's still a lowball estimate.
In today's USA Today, the Money section has an article about a study done by the auto industry which claims that gas guzzlers (SUVs and the like) will still sell no matter how high gas prices climb. Appearently, gas prices just aren't an object for those who are rich enough to afford them. I still think these prices will make those of us who are not so well off think twice.
One would figure that with all this bad news about gas, alternatives would be explored. Then one remembers that this is the American media we are talking about, and our necks ache after we shake our heads. So, lemmie throw a couple fuel alternatives out on the table that our country can produce and use immediately as an alternative to gasoline, without doing any modifications on cars: corn and hemp ethanol.
Our smart neighbors up in the Great White North already have the option to fill up their tanks with corn ethanol. The last time I was in Canada, I filled up my ride with a tank of corn, and it ran better than it did with gasoline. (Matt was with me and he can back me up, he also took this photo of the pump I used.)
Illinois is already using corn ethanol in their fuel, here's a picture I took of a gas pump I used when recently passing through that state.
And did you hear about the Hempcar that made a transamerican tour a couple years back? A diesel wagon powered completely by hemp oil that can be easily converted to hemp ethanol and used in your car. You'll get the same gas milage.
Fact is that in America, we have the resources to produce, distribute, and use these biomass fuels. This would reduce the cost of gasoline, reduce our economy's dependence on foreign oil, and be healthier for the environment. A win/win/win situation that any clear minded Republican, Democrat, or common nutcase can agree with.
Why isn't this being discussed in the media?

<< Home