10/27/2003

I think we need a little Reality Check, my friend

Ahh, Newsmax, those wild and crazy "journalists". One of my email accounts is still signed up for their mailings, and sometimes I read them when I need a good laugh. So I had to open an email with the subject, "Why America Hates the Democrats," since Newsmax has always captured the American zeitgeist.

The email had 4 short "articles" in it. I will touch upon two of them. The first one, Next for Castro's Axis: Mexico, starts out with this line: "A lot of Americans don't like Mexican President Vicente Fox". Actually, a lot of Americans wouldn't be able to name who el presidente of our southern neighbor is, nevermind commenting on his policies. The article also neglects to mention that Castro's about ready to dropdead. What's he gonna do, rule over Mexico with an iron walker?

Newsmax also proves that, once again, the media is LIBERAL! Yes, in Media Distortions in Schiavo Case, they sure set the right straight.

Some of the most biased reporting we've ever seen came this past week with the coverage of Terri Schiavo and partial-birth abortion.

[snip]

Wire services and other media leaders also called the fight over Mrs. Schiavo's fate a "right-to-die" case ... it is a right-to-live case. Yet the mainstream media refuse to call it that.

Such wisdom! The media must be biased in labeling this a "right-to-die" case! I forgot the March of the Comatose on Washington that demanded liberal politicians to let them live! That damn liberal media!

Oh, oops, Newsmax says we can't call her comatose!

We caught several newspapers, wire services and other members of Big Media falsely describing Mrs. Schiavo as "comatose."

So, if she's not comatose, but shehas been lying in a hospital bed, in a vegetative state, for the past decade.. What exactly is she?! Please Newsmax please, lemmie know!

They continue:

"What's your position on the forced feeding of the Florida woman?" asked a poll we spotted on the legal Web site FindLaw, as if food were being stuffed down Mrs. Schiavo's throat against her will.

Notably absent was a poll asking "your position on the forced starvation" she was suffering before Florida's Legislature and governor intervened.

Well Newsmax, how should it be defined? If forced feeding isn't the right phrase for someone who has a feeding tube forced into her which, according to her husband, is against her will, what should the poll have asked? "Should the happy-go-lucky feeding tube be removed from the not-so-comatose (really!) women?" The poll questionabout forced starvation that they would rather have the media ask isn't as unbiased as Newsmax likes to think, but since Newsmax refuses to recognize the right-to-die movement, they hardly care.

You see, boys and girls, this whole email I was sent, and Newsmax's mission as a media organization, can be defined in one term: Propaganda. They take the news and add so much spin to it to illustrate their whacko beliefs that they try to tell you that the media is liberal because they to not tow the Newsmax line. They even go as far to spread lies, like saying that woman isn't comatose. Then they refuse to recognize a "right-to-die" movement, like any sane person would choose to be a vegetable. This is how far removed from reality Newsmax is.

And just think, the Bush administration would agree with everything they say. Seeing that Bush only gets his news hand delivered to him by his aides, I wouldn't be surprised if his aides handed him this bullshit from Newsmax.

One final, off-topic note: since Bush admitted in front of a national, primetime audience that he doesn't research the news on his own, shouldn't that scare you? Shouldn't he be impeached? People might think I am nuts for seeing that he should be impeached simply for not reading the news on his own, but think about it this way: admitting that he doesn't do his own research into making presidential decisions is nothing more then comin right out and say, "Yes, I don't make my own decisions, I let other people do that for me." Isn't this in violation of his oath of office, in which he swore to uphold the office? If it's not him who is upholding the office, then who is it? I'd like to know who the real president is.