3/25/2004

Let's see what the mouth breathers are doing

[Updated: 5:44am, see below] Georgia's House banned female genital piercings. Here's what one clueless lawmaker had to say:

Amendment sponsor Rep. Bill Heath, R-Bremen, was slack-jawed when told after the vote that some adults seek the piercings.

"What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing."

After the grilling from reporters, Mr. Heath no doubt walked away, leaving two red trails in his wake. (I know somebody out there gets that reference.)

Apparently, Georgia also has yet to hear of that whole freedom of religion concept:

It makes no exception for people who give consent to have the procedure performed on their daughters out of religious or cultural custom.

(I should note here that the whole of this bill targets genital mutilation, which is not something I advocate. I realize that some religions do, which causes me to raise an eyebrow. However, I don't know what every single religion does, so I still consider this a religious freedom issue.)

Oh, and the punishment for violating this law, if it passes the Georgia Senate, is a 2-20 sentence in the slammer. Two to twenty years. Honestly, could anything be more useless than this bill?