Driving with racism
I've been listening to the radio all night at work, and one commercial just caught my attention. It's for a local car dealership, and it's obviously aimed at buyers who don't have too much cash because the deal is that you get a car if you have a job and can fork over a $199 down payment.
But the voice the have representing the prospective buyer is less than, uhm, respectable. It's a hispanic voice. But not just any hispanic voice; if you're white, you know that racist white uncle/cousin you have? Every white family has one. He's the guy that always talks about those "dirty Mexicans" causing problems. Then he imitates their voice and manner of speech for cheap laughs. "Hey man, let's load up the car and go over the border!" That's the voice in this commerical. "Hey man! If you have a job and 199 dollars, you can get a car man!" I guess I should feel lucky that they didn't have whitey try mixing in a few Spanish words, like, "Man, this deal's LOCO!"
I'm just surpirsed that a car dealership is this overtly racist in their attempt to target hispanic consumers. If you're trying to net hispanic buyers, why not try speaking actual spanish in your ads? It would sound a lot better then getting your uncle behind a mic to do his dirty Mexican impression.

<< Home