9/15/2004

Domo arigato, Ms. Roboto

I'll be blogging lightly today because most of my time will be spent researching the Bush/Barnes/GTech story, but this blog would become boring if that's all I wrote about for the next week. But since I'm too occupied to write about anything else, I'll be lazy to let others do the writing for me. So here's an interesting post I read on Greenpass tonight.

How to become a feminine robot

My roommate Nicole and I had a good laugh over a book called "Find a Husband after 35 (Using what I learned at Harvard Business School)". Forget the fact that HBS should NEVER have agreed to allow its name to be used on the cover of this utterly embarassing book. Forget the fact that the cover is pink and purple with soft photos of gold wedding bands. This book is proof that the feminist movement has most positively crawled off into a hole somewhere and died in squalor.

Some sample advice:

"Please don't shoot me as the messenger, but the feminine look that most men tell me they like is longer hair, flowing skirts, soft fabrics, an ever-so-slightly revealing neckline, small-scale jewelery, and manicured fingernails and toenails."

Sounds like a hippy with a manicure.

"I'm going to make one tiny exception and bend the femininity rules just once for post-35 women. Because there are fewer single men around for you now, I think it's okay to make one initial, low-key contact with a man you'd like to date but who has not shown interest in you yet....The important thing is not to break the femininity rules twice."

That's the one exception to being a Stepford wife. Great.

After reading this book (and all the rave reviews it got from Oprah and Fortune magazines), and thinking back to what I said about it being more acceptable in today's society for women to admit intimidation and fear, I don't think I seem like a traitor to my sex or Republican-lite any more. If this book is in print and popular, then we have many MANY more underlying problems to solve before more women start making their voices heard in the political or internet sphere. I'm starting to believe that the balkanization of the feminist movement has made it more possible for dangerous crap like this to get seriously marketed and sold.