That wascally elusive thing called the Truth
While attempting to read an article in my Sunday paper called "Bush's faith," I was assaulted with this paragraph:
Before President Bush addressed a Knights of Columbus convention last month in Dallas, the audience of 2,500 conservative Catholics watched a documentary film about a woman who chose to die rather than end a pregnancy that threatened her life. Then the president gave a speech in which he called Pope John Paul II "a true hero of our time" and used the pope's phrase "culture of life" three times.
Unfortunately, this was the first paragraph. I honestly tried to read the rest of the article with a clear and open mind, but I couldn't finish it. After starting out with such a shocking introduction paragraph where the president gives a nod of approval to the needless death of an innocent woman and then shows his support for a man who harbors a culture of child molestation, the author then tries to say that nobody knows if President Bush's religious beliefs are moderate or hardline and, in fact, nobody really knows what Bush believes.
Perhaps the author should read his first paragraph over again. I think he stated pretty clearly the religious beliefs of this president in that passage before ruining his article by questioning whether or not Bush believes all abortions should be illegal, what his stance on evolution is, etc. Before the pungent stench of bullshit caused me to cease reading, I remember the author noted that Bush's speechwriters are very careful in choosing what the president says about his personal religious beliefs, purposely leaving his stances as ambiguous because, I assume, they fear that his beliefs could be used against him in a political campaign.
Well, it may not be religious, but I have a belief: Actions speak louder than words. And if President Bush chooses to allow the Knights of Columbus to introduce his speech with a movie glorifying the choice of a pregnant woman to die rather than aborting a pregnancy which could kill her, then I think the president has made his stance on abortion crystal clear. It's really that simple. So why does the mainstream press continue to give this man a free ride when the truth is right in front of them?

<< Home