10/07/2004

Busting with fear?

I don't usually mention anything about my personal emails on the blog, but this one is making me think. I've been emailing somebody new and getting to know her. I asked her what she's been reading, and on her list is Bust. She then immediately tells me not to worry, "I am not a man hater." I chuckled at the comment, but I don't think her attempt at reassurance was a joke.

Now, at risk of showing how naive I am, are there really men out there who consider magazines like Bust to spread some sort of hatred of men? They're afraid of it because, [gasp], it's not Cosmo? I mean, seriously. My first girlfriend introduced me to magazines like Bitch, so I know I'm going to have a skewered view on this topic, but I have a couple of questions:

- To men: Do you live in fear of women who read Bust, Bitch, etc.?
- To women: Do you live in fear of telling men you read Bust, Bitch, etc.?