10/18/2004

Intro to Modern Imperialism

I mentioned this in my own blog a few days ago... I recommend as an appetizer to a showing of Fahrenheit 9/11 the short film "What Barry Says". You can watch it full screen from AtomFilms Hi-Def or you can watch it from the creator's page. The film serves as a good propaganda introduction to The Project for the New American Century. Post-discussion can jump to sites like The Project for the Old American Century, PNAC.info, and even the Project's own website. The 1997 Report "Rebuilding America's Defenses" is a chilling tale of Imperialism.

A Slashdot reader, and I apologize for not remembering her/his nickname, gave the best explanation I have heard for why Europe has a hard time how people can support Bush... Because of World War 2 Europe has come to be skeptical of those who would try for Imperialism, and thus they are skeptical of too much Patriotism and Nationalism. Here, we pulled troop support for World War 2 through a heavy platform of Patriotism and Nationalism. So today the Conservatives have once more coopted Patriotism and Nationalism for Imperialistic purpouses and it's hard to tell the Patriotic White Collar American that the Conservatives are abusing his National Pride.