12/05/2004

About that photo

Was it photoshopped? Is it really? It's questionable. The majority of vocal Loaded Mouth readers say it's faked, but Ron said it was on the cover of a book called "Bush in Babylon: The Recolonisation of Iraq." Indeed, Amazon proves Ron to be correct. I found this comment from its author, Tariq Ali, on the photo:

[Interviewer] [...] The cover of the new one features a fairly famous photo of a young kid urinating on an American soldier, maybe he's British—Is he American?

Tariq Ali: No, I think he's American, though a big debate goes on the net as to who the soldier really is. And it's a symbolic photograph, really, to show the role kids play. I mean, I talk about it in the book. Kids are the most sensitive of creatures and feel the pain of their elders much before the parents even realize it and react—and are very angered by being occupied and do all sorts of things.

So the author claims that it's a real, and famous, photo, though he's not sure if the soldier being urinated upon is an American. I think this warrants some more research, so I may take a trip to the bookstore later today, see if I can find the book and photo credits, find out who snapped this picture that's supposedly real. This all depends on when I roll out of bed, for I've been up (and out) all night.